Positive habits and sleep routines are the key to a good nights sleep for you and your child. It’s only natural to feel anxious about changing their routine and moving them into a new sleep-inducing environment. Whether you are moving away from co-sleeping, moving house or moving your child into their big boy/girl bed – the routine should be pre-determined, solid, and consistent. Consistency in a bedtime routine helps children feel secure. The routine cues will help them wind down before bed and it enables them to predict their next move. After all, young children have limited knowledge and understanding of time. Let’s start by thinking about your current routine, what works for you currently that you can carry over to your new routine? Steps, like having a bath, reading a story, feeding in a dark room or simply changing them into their sleep suit, provides babies and children with a routine, a cue to say ‘It’s time for bed’ Below is an example of a solid, consistent routine that helps to promote the production of melatonin and encourages your child to self-settle.
- Bath time! A warm, aromatic bath for children crawling around and getting into messes. Younger babies don’t need to be bathed every day, so you could try a little massage or singing a gentle song
- Turn on the Red LED light on your Glow Dreaming to the highest setting
- Pour the recommended number of drops of Glow Lullaby essential oil into your Glow Dreaming and turn on the humidifier
- Change your baby into their sleep suit, ensuring their nappy is fitted correctly and their singlet is tucked right in so they don’t roll up and become uncomfortable, Love to Dream have great swaddling sleepsuits for children up to 48 months
- Sit down in your child’s sleep space in preparation to feed, sing a song or read a story. This is where a comfortable armchair comes in handy. Ikea has a fashionable, affordable range that might work well here
- The room should already be dark-ish aside from the red light from your Glow Dreaming and have a beautiful, relaxing aroma from your Glow Lullaby Essential Oil
- When you’ve finished reading your story, singing or feeding give your child a kiss, a big cuddle and say your goodnights